Thursday, April 12, 2012

Gee thanks kid.

Today Sigmund and I were watching an old episode of Gunsmoke. Sigmund has decided that he likes old TV.

The episode we were watching originally aired in 1967. As we were watching Sigmund turns to me with his angelic little face and says "did you watch this show when you were twelve years old?" I won't even begin to guess why he picked twelve it is a completely arbitrary number. It is not his current age, he is only 10. I have decided not to put to much thought into it because the inner working of a ten year olds mind are not a place that make sense to me, I have accepted that long ago. I very kindly informed the littlest crazy that I did not watch Gunsmoke when I was twelve that in fact this particular episode aired more than a decade before I graced the earth with my wit and humor. He paused for a moment and said "Huh, This show must be really old - because you are old and it is more than ten years older." He then scampered off to pursue an activity other than breaking his mothers heart.

Gee thanks for starting the day off right.

This reminds me of another time when one of the junior crazy brigade cut me to the quick with a careless comment about the elderly. Mary and I were discussing our favorite intellectual topic, celebrity gossip, when Ms. Alyssa Milano came up. Mary commented on how she was amazed that Ms. Milano was still alive or thought she had any hope of a career - being that she was so old. I reminded Mary that Alyssa is only a few years older than me. I believe that my gentle reminder wen't something like this "Jesus Christ - Alyssa Milano and I are practically the same age. ARE YOU CALLING ME OLD TOO. Maybe I should just retire and head off to the old folks home and let you guys just have run of this place. Trust me five minutes after I leave it would be like Lord of the Flies up in this bitch."  

Now before anyone gets their panties in a bunch. I don't think that mid thirties is old at all. Most days I feel young and spry. However apparently the junior crazy squad is already sizing me up for a wheel chair and some depends.

No comments:

Post a Comment